Print this page

King's Shropshire Light Infantry

Dates Locations Higher Formation/Remarks
. . .
. . .
. 4th Battalion, The King's Shropshire Light Infantry .
1947.01.01 Reconstituted in the T.A. with HQ at Shrewsbury and concurrently absorbed duplicate 5th Battalion without change of title 159 (Welsh Border) Infantry Brigade
. A Company at Shrewsbury and Ludlow .
. B Company at Oswestry and Ellesmere .
. C Company at Wellington; moved 1952 to Madeley with det at Wellington .
. D Company at Whitchurch and Market Drayton .
. Support Company at Shrewsbury, Mortar Pln at Madeley, MG Pln at Bridgnorth .
1967.04.01 Disbanded and concurrently reconstituted as two units: .
. HQ Company (Shropshire), Light Infantry Volunteers in TAVR II at Shrewsbury .
. A Company (King's Shropshire Light Infantry), The King's Shropshire and Herefordshire Light Infantry (T), in TAVR III at Wellington and Oswestry .
1968.07.10  Transferred to the corps of The Light Infantry .
1969.01.01 TAVR III element reduced to cadre as The King's Shropshire and Herefordshire Light Infantry at ?, sponsored by The Light Infantry Volunteers .
1971.04.01 Reorganised as two companies: .
. HQ Company (Shropshire), Light Infantry Volunteers at Shrewsbury; formed det at Whitchurch by 1972 .
. C (King's Shropshire Light Infantry) Company, The Light Infantry and Mercian Volunteers at Wellington, reconstituted from cadre .
1972.08.01 LI Vols redesignated as 5th Battalion, The Light Infantry (V) with HQ at Shrewsbury .
1975.04.01 C Coy at Wellington redesignated as E (King's Shropshire Light Infantry) Coy, 5th Bn, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) and formed det at Whitchurch .
1987.01.01 Reorganised as three companies: .
. HQ Company (Shropshire), 5th Battalion, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) at Shrewsbury .
. X Company, 5th Battalion, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) at Shrewsbury, newly formed .
. B (King's Shropshire Light Infantry) Company, 5th Battalion, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) at Wellington, redesignation of E Coy .
1987 X Company redesignated as A Company .
1988.11.09 Company subtitles omitted as battalion redesignated as 5th (Shropshire and Herefordshire) Battalion, The Light Infantry (V) .
1992 A Company at Shrewsbury disbanded .
1993.02.26 Battalion redesignated as 5th Battalion, The (Shropshire and Herefordshire) Light Infantry (V) .
1999.07.01 Shrewsbury Plns, E (Light Infantry) Company, The West Midlands Regiment formed by amalgamation of HQ Coy and C Coy 5th Bn, The Light Infantry .
2006.04.01 L Company (Light Infantry), The West Midlands Regiment at Shrewsbury .
2007.08.24 L Company (Light Infantry), 4th Battalion, The Mercian Regiment .
. . .
. . .
. 1st Battalion, The Herefordshire Light Infantry .
1947.04.01 Reconstituted in TA with HQ at Hereford 159 (Welsh Border) Infantry Brigade
. HQ Company at Hereford .
. A Company at Kington; moved by 1962 to Cinderford .
. B Company at Ross-on-Wye .
. C Company at Ledbury; formed det by 1962 at Bromyard .
. D Company at Leominster; formed det by 1962 at Kington .
. Support Company at Hereford .
1967.04.01 Disbanded and concurrently reconstituted as two units: .
. C Company (Herefordshire), Light Infantry Volunteers formed in TAVR II at Hereford .
. B Company (Hereford Light Infantry), The King's Shropshire and Herefordshire Light Infantry (T) formed in TAVR III at Ross-on-Wye and Hereford .
1969.01.01 TAVR III element reduced to cadre as The King's Shropshire and Herefordshire Light Infantry at ?, sponsored by The Light Infantry Volunteers .
1971.04.01 Reorganised as two companies: .
. C Company (Herefordshire), Light Infantry Volunteers at Hereford .
. D (Herefordshire Light Infantry) Company, Light Infantry and Mercian Volunteers, reconstituted from cadre at Ross-on-Wye .
1972.08.01 C Coy's battalion redesignated as 5th Battalion, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) .
1975.04.01 D Coy redesignated D (Hereford) Company and transferred to 6th (V) Battalion, The Light Infantry .
1981.03.31 D Coy at Ross-on-Wye (det at Ledbury) transferred to 5th Battalion as D Company .
1988.11.09 C Coy subtitle omitted as battalion redesignated as 5th (Shropshire and Herefordshire) Battalion, The Light Infantry (V) .
1993.04.01 D Company disbanded .
1999.07.01 Hereford Platoon, E (Light Infantry) Company, The West Midlands Regiment formed by amalgamation of HQ Coy and C Coy 5th Bn, The Light Infantry (company HQ at Shrewsbury) .
2006.04.01 Hereford pln converted and absorbed by B (Shropshire Yeomanry) Sqn, Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry, and Herefordshire Light Infantry lineage continued jointly with Shropshire element of L Company (Light Infantry), The West Midlands Regiment .
. . .
. . .
1967.04.01 T.A. elements of The King's Shropshire Light Infantry disbanded and concurrently reconstituted as three units: .
. HQ Company (Shropshire) in TAVR II at Shrewsbury, successor to 4th Bn The King's Shropshire Light Infantry .
. C Company (Herefordshire) in TAVR II at Hereford, successor to 1st Bn The Herefordshire Light Infantry .
. The King's Shropshire and Herefordshire Light Infantry (Territorials), formed in TAVR III with HQ at Wellington .
. A Company (King's Shropshire Light Infantry), at Wellington and Oswestry, successor to 4th Bn The King's Shropshire Light Infantry .
. B Company (Hereford Light Infantry) at Ross-on-Wye and Hereford, successor to 1st Bn The Herefordshire Light Infantry .
1968.07.10 Transferred to the corps of The Light Infantry .
1969.01.01 TAVR III element reduced to cadre as The King's Shropshire and Herefordshire Light Infantry at Shrewsbury, sponsored by Light Infantry Volunteers .
1971.04.01 Cadre reconstituted as as C (King's Shropshire Light Infantry) Company, and D (Herefordshire Light Infantry), The Light Infantry and Mercian Volunteers [see Shropshire and Herefordshire for continuing county lineages] .
. . .
. . .