Print this page

Green Howards

Dates Locations Higher Formation/Remarks
. . .
. . .
. 4th Battalion, The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment) .
1947.01.01 Reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Guisborough 151 (Yorkshire & Durham) Infantry Brigade
. HQ Company at Guisborough .
. A Company at Yarm and Thirsk; moved <1959> to Guisborough and Thirsk det absorbed by B Coy .
. B Company at Richmond and Northallerton; absorbed <1959> Thirsk det of A Coy .
. C Company at Skelton; moved <1959> to Scarborough and Sketlon det absorbed by D Coy .
. D Company at Redcar; absorbed <1959> Selton det of C Coy .
. Support Company at Middlesbrough .
1961.02.06 Battalion amalgamated with 631 (The Green Howards) Lt Regiment RA to form 4th/5th Battalion, The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment), HQ at Scarborough .
. HQ Company at Scarborough and Whitby .
. A Company at Guisborough and Richmond .
. B Company at Malton and Pickering .
. C Company at Bridlington and Drifield .
. D Company at Redcar and Loftus .
. Support Company at Middlesbrough .
1967.04.01 Disbanded and concurrently reconstituted as: .
. B Company (The Green Howards), Yorkshire Volunteers in TAVR II at Stockton Road, Middlesborough with det at Scarborough .
. The Green Howards Territorials in TAVR III with HQ at Middlesborough (252 GHQ Provost Coy RMP assisted in formation) .
. A (Cleveland) Company at Gainsborough .
. B (Teeside) Company at Middlesborough .
. C (Scarborough) Company at Scarborough .
1969.04.01 TAVR III element reduced to cadre at Scarborough, sponsored by Yorkshire Volunteers (some personnel to B Company Yorkshire Volunteers) .
1971.04.01 Reorganised as two companies: .
. B Company (The Green Howards), 1st Battalion, Yorkshire Volunteers at Stockton Road, Middlesborough .
. D (The Green Howards) Company, 2nd Battalion, Yorkshire Volunteers at Scarborough with dets at Whitby and Bridlington, reconstituted from cadre and detachment B Coy .
1986 G Company, 1st Battalion (interim designation) formed at Guisborough from detachment B Coy; K Company, 1st Battalion (interim designation) formed at Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough from personnel B Coy .
1988.01.01 G Coy at Guisborough and Loftus redesignated A (The Green Howards) Company .
. K Coy at Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough, redesignated C (The Green Howards) Company (both still in 1st Battalion) .
1992.04.04 D Coy 2nd Battalion transferred as A Company 1st Battalion, effectively making 1st Battalion a Green Howards unit with four rifle companies .
1992.12.15 HQ and HQ Company 1st Battalion moved from York to Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough  .
1993.04.25 4th/5th Battalion, The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment) re-formed with HQ at Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough by redesignation of 1st Bn, Yorkshire Volunteers .
. HQ Company at Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough. GPMG(SF) Pln and Recce Pln at Guisborough .
. A Company at Scarborough with Pln at Guisborough .
. B Company at Stockton Road, Middlesbrough .
. C Company at Harrogate with Pln at Northallerton .
1999.07.01 The Tyne Tees Regiment formed by amalgamation of 6th Bn The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (V), 4th/5th Bn The Green Howards (Yorkshire Volunteers), and 7th Bn The Light Infantry (V), HQ at Gilesgate Armoury, Durham .
. A (Green Howards) Company at Scarborough with Pln at Northallerton, amalgamation of A Coy and C Coy .
. B (Green Howards) Company at Stockton Road, Middlesbrough with Pln at Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough, amalgamation of B Coy and HQ Coy .
200? Northallerton pln disbanded .
2006.06.06 The East and West Riding Regiment re-organised as 4th Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th and 33rd/76th) formed with HQ at York .
. HQ Company at York and Scarborough, formed by amalgamation of B Coy East and West Riding Regiment and A Coy Tyne Tees Regiment .
. B (Green Howards) Company at Middlesbrough with Pln at Northallerton (the latter re-formed) .
. . .
. . .

Previous page: Fusilier Volunteers
Next page: Gordon Highlanders