Print this page

Durham Light Infantry

Dates Locations Higher Formation/Remarks
. . .
. . .
. 6th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry .
1947.01.01 Reconstituted in the T.A. with HQ at Bishop Auckland and concurrently amalgamated with 10th Battalion 151 (Yorkshire & Durham) Infantry Brigade
. A Company at Bishop Auckland .
. B Company at Barnard Castle .
. C Company at Spennymoor .
. D Company at Crook .
1967.02.26 Amalgamated with 8th Battalion, to form 6th/8th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry .
. . .
. . .
. 8th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry .
1947.01.01 Reconstituted in the T.A. with HQ at Durham and concurrently amalgamated with 11th Battalion 149 (Northumberland) Infantry Brigade
. A Company at Durham .
. B Company at Chester-le-Street .
. C Company at Stanley .
. D Company at Houghton-le-Spring .
1967.02.26 Amalgamated with 6th Battalion, to form 6th/8th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry .
. . .
. . .
. 9th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry .
1947.01.01 reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Gateshead .
. A Company at ? .
. B Company at ? .
. C Company at ? .
. D Company at ? .
1947.10? Redesignated 17th (9th Bn The Durham Light Infantry) Battalion, The Parachute Regiment .
1967.04.01 Amalgamated with 12th/13th (Yorkshire and Lancashire) Bn, The Parachute Regt, to form 4th (V) Battalion, The Parachute Regiment .
. HQ and HQ Company at Pudsey (ATk Pln at Gateshead, MMG Pln at Oldham, Mortar Pln at Liverpool) .
. C Company at Gateshead, formed from 17th Bn .
. D Company at Stockton on Tees, formed from 17th Bn .
1984 MMG Pln moved to Liverpool, later to Stockton .
1993.04.06 17 (Durham) Company, 4th (V) Battalion, The Parachute Regiment formed at Hebburn with MG Pln at Stockton on Tees, amalgamation of C Coy and D Coy .
1999.05.01 4 Platoon, 12 (Yorkshire) Company,4th (V) Battalion, The Parachute Regiment pln at Hebburn (MMG Pln moved to Edinburgh) .
. . .
. . .
. 6th/8th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry .
1967.02.26 Formed by amalgamation of 6th Battalion and 8th Battalion, constituting the whole TA infantry presence in County Durham .
1967.04.01 Disbanded and concurrently reconstituted a two units: .
. D Company (Durham), The Light Infantry Volunteers at Durham, successor to 6th/8th Bn The Durham Light Infantry; det formed later at Chester-le-Street .
. 6th/8th (Territorial) Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry formed in TAVR III with HQ at Bishop Auckland .
. A Company at Bishop Auckland, successor to 6th Bn The Durham Light Infantry .
. B Company at Chester-le-Street, successor to 8th Bn The Durham Light Infantry .
. C Company at Spennymoor, successor to 6th Bn The Durham Light Infantry .
. D Company at Houghton-le-Spring, successor to 8th Bn The Durham Light Infantry .
1969.04.01 TAVR III element reduced to cadre as 6th/8th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry at Bishop Auckland, sponsored by The Light Infantry Volunteers, less some personnel to form E Company (Durham), The Light Infantry Volunteers .
1971.04.01 reorganised as three companies: .
. D Company (Durham), The Light Infantry Volunteers at Durham (det at Chester-le-Street) .
. E Company (Durham), The Light Infantry Volunteers at Spennymoor with det at Bishop Auckland .
. E (6th/8th Durham Light Infantry) Company, Northumbrian Volunteers, reconstituted from cadre at Hordern; moved later to Hebburn .
1972.08.01 Light Infantry Volunteers redesignated as 5th Bn, The Light Infantry (V) .
1975.04.01 7th Battalion, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) formed with HQ at Bishop Auckland with companies from other battalions (with one Durham coy remaining in 5th Battalion): .
. HQ Company at Bishop Auckland (Mortar Pln at Chester-le-Street, Atk Pln at Spennymoor), redesignation of HQ Coy Northumbian Volunteers .
. A Company at Hordern with det at Hartlepool, redesignation of A Bty Northumbian Volunteers .
. B Company at Hebburn and Consett, redesignation of E Coy Northumbrian Volunteers .
. C Company at Wakefield [KOYLI], redesignation of E Coy 2nd Bn Yorkshire Volunteers .
. D Company at Spennymoor and Bishop Auckland, redesignation of E Coy 5th Battalion, The Light Infantry .
1981.02.01 D Coy 5th Battalion at Durham with pln at Chester-le-Street transferred as new C Company .
1981.03.31 Existing C Company at Wakefield transferred as A Coy 5th Battalion (7th Bn now effectively an all-Durham unit) .
1984 E (HSF) Company formed at Bishop Auckland, Horden and Washington .
1988.11.09 Redesignated 7th (Durham) Battalion, The Light Infantry (Volunteers) .
. HQ and HQ Company moved to Durham, absorbing elements of old C Coy (as Mortar Pln); new C Company formed at Washington (Plns at Chester le Street and Sunderland), formed from nucleus of old C Coy .
1992.04.04 Reduced to three rifle company establishment; E (HSF) Coy disbanded .
. HQ Company at Durham and Spennymoor (Mortar Pln moved to Chester-le-Street) .
. A Company at Hordern with det at Hartlepool .
. B Company at Bishop Auckland with Pln at Consett (absorbed D Coy) .
. C Company at Washington with(Plns at Chester le Street and Sunderland) .
1993.02.26 Redesignated 7th Battalion, The (Durham) The Light Infantry (Volunteers), HQ at Gilesgate Armoury, Durham .
1995.04.01 Mortar Pln withdrawn; HQ Company at Durham, with detachments at Bishop Auckland. Recce Pln at Chester-le-Street; Assault Pioneer Pln at Durham .
1999.07.01 Reduced to C (Durham Light Infantry) Company, The Tyne Tees Regiment at Bishop Auckland with Plns at Consett and Washington by amalgamation of B Coy and C Coy, 7th Bn, The Light Infantry (battalion amalgamated with 6th Bn The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (V) and 4th/5th Bn The Green Howards (Yorkshire Volunteers)); A Coy reorganised as part of 104 Sqn, 168 Pioneer Regiment, RLC Tyne Tees Regiment
2006.04.01 C (Rifles) Company, 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers formed at Washington with plns at Bishop Auckland and Doncaster, by amalgamation of C (DLI) Coy from The Tyne Tees Regt, and Doncaster pln of Minden (LI) Coy from East & West Riding Regt, perpetuating both Durham Light Infantry and King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry as northern element not regimented in The Rifles .
. . .
. . .