Print this page

Cheshire Yeomanry

Date Unit Higher Formation
. . .
. . .
. The Cheshire Yeomanry (Earl of Chester's) .
1947.04.01 Reconstituted in TA as an armoured regiment with HQ at Chester and transferred to Royal Armoured Corps .
. A Squadron at Knutsford .
. C Squadron at Northwich .
. D Squadron at Macclesfield .
1958 Converted to armoured reconnaissance role .
1967.04.01 Disbanded and concurrently reconstituted as The Cheshire Yeomanry (Earl of Chester's) (Territorials) in TAVR III with HQ at Birkenhead (element at Chester), including 113 Field Sqn RE, and part 4th Bn, The Cheshire Regiment .
. A Squadron at Northwich .
. B Squadron at Birkenhead .
. C Squadron at Birkenhead .
1969.01.01 Reduced to cadre at Gilvern, Chester (some personnel to 80 Signal Squadron) sponsored by 33 Signal Regiment (V) .
1971.04.01 C Squadron, The Queen's Own Yeomanry reconstituted from cadre at Chester .
1972.11 C Squadron redesignated C (Cheshire Yeomanry) Squadron .
1973 Reorganised as two units: .
. C (Cheshire Yeomanry) Squadron, The Queen's Own Yeomanry at Chester .
. 80 (Cheshire Yeomanry) Signal Squadron, 33rd (Lancashire and Cheshire) Signal Regiment, Royal Signals at Gilwern, Chester, redesignation of existing 80 (Cheshire) Squadron (since the unit originated from the CY signal section) .
1994.07.23 80 Squadron moved to Runcorn .
1995? Subtitle of both units changed to Cheshire Yeomanry, Earl of Chester's .
1999.07.01 C Squadron transferred to The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry .
. . .
. . .